Can I use Exclusive OR function XOR?
This is a new function is Excel 2013. So if you are on an older version, you are out of luck. I tried to pull up the attached spreadsheet that has a Mac version of Excel 2010, and I received the dreaded #NAME? error.
In the video, Oz du Soleil mentions that most explanations of this functions are programming examples. So he offers this explanation of XOR. The example reminds me of College/University, where different combinations of prerequisites can be met to satisfy the requirement.
The scenario is the attached spreadsheet and video is where a teacher must agree to teach EITHER:
- a minimum of 4 classes in one section or
- a minimum of 2 classes in the yellow section, NOT BOTH
- The Comprehensive Guide to the Excel Ribbon: Making the Most of Your Data - January 31, 2023
- 51: Oz du Soleil & the Global Excel Summit 2021 - February 8, 2021
- 50: Randy Austin – Excel for Freelancers - January 22, 2021
Thanks for sharing this Oz. Yes, backwards compatibility is always a concern with a new function but I can definitely see the XOR function being helpful especially for the work that I do.