Welcome back to another episode of Excel.TV where Oz du Soleil shares his Excel tip. Here it is: always have a workbook with random data. With this workbook, you'll have a ready made resource to test your dashboards, workbooks, and financial models.
In this video, Oz goes through his many worksheets showing off fake data. I actually don’t have a workbook like this. (It's a good idea to create one, I must admit.) didn’t want to leave you empty handed, since at the end, Oz says to “Go make your own,” random data workbook. And I need to create a workbook like this too!
Resources you can use to generate fake and random data
So I figured as I went out to make my own random data worksheet, I'd share my resources with you so that you can make your own. Below I’ve collected a list of resources to help you get started.
- CREATING RANDOM DATA IN EXCEL USING RANDBETWEEN AND CHOOSE - https://excel.tv/creating-random-data-in-excel-using-randbetween-and-choose/
- Creating Fake Data in Excel: random dollar amounts & dates using RANDARRAY & TEXT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhNf8EnzU-E
- How to Create Sample/Dummy Data Sets in Excel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RERDNtjG7w8
- Dummy Data – How to use the Random Functions - https://chandoo.org/wp/dummy-data-random-functions/
- Creating Sample Data Sets for Excel Spreadsheets - https://www.consultdmw.com/create-excel-data-set.html
- Mockaroo (this is what I use!) - https://mockaroo.com/
- Generate Data Using Excel: RAND & RANDBETWEEN - https://datascopic.net/generate-data/
How do you generate random data?
Let us know in the comments.