Four Excel MVPs test their Excel knowledge in this competition. Excel trainer and consultant Szilvia Juhasz served as host for the segment titled “Wait, Don’t Excel Me”.
- Excel MVP and Author Zack Barresse – Buy his Excel Tables book
- Excel MVP and Author Kevin Jones – Co Author with Zack of the Excel Tables Book
- Excel MVP and Author Jordan Goldmeier – Pick up his Advanced Excel Essentials book here.
- Excel MVP and Author Oz du Soleil – Pick up his Guerrilla Data Analysis book here.
The Trivia Questions
Many of the questions were derived from Bill Jelen’s book “The Spreadsheet at 25”.
- Name these two prominent figures in Excel history?
- Dan Bricklin & Bob Frankston – The inventors of Visicalc
- In the 1960’s, Berkeley Professor Robert Mattessich used what programming language to build a what-if style budgeting application?
- In 1975, the Texas Instruments T1-10 calculator costs _____ ?
- Describe the hidden events on Chandoo’s History of Excel graph – the Excel version and at least one feature. The graph indicates 1990 and a993
- 1990 – Excel 3 with 3-D charts
- 1993 – Excel 5 with VBA
- What is this? picture indicates early version of Visicalc that looks more like a very old version of Pong.
- Match that Excel guy. Various pictures of from the history of Excel and Spreadsheets including Bob Umlas.
- C – Charles Simonyi – Lead Excel / Word app developer
- A – Doug Klunder – Microsoft programmer
- B – Bob Umlas – Longest running Excel MVP
- N/A – Dan Bricklin, Inventor of Visicalc
- G – Bob Frankston, inventor of Visicalc
- I – Steve Ballmer, former Microsoft executive
- =ROWS (A:A) * COLUMNS (1:1) yields _____?
- What Excel function can be used to replicate alternate row shading effect with conditional formatting?
- Name as many Excel MVPs as you can in the next 30 seconds (excluding yourselves).
- Bill Jelen
- Bob Umlas
- Mynda Treacy
- Chris “Smitty” Smith
- Jacob Hildebrand
- Debra Dalgleish
- Jon Acampora
- Mike Girvin
- Bob Phillips
- Ken Puls
- Jan Karel Pieterse
- Roger Govier
- Hui – From Chandoo’s blog
- Daniel Ferry
- Ingeborg Hawighorst
- Jon Peltier
- Who is dubbed the “Father of the Pivot Table”?
- C – Pito Salas
- Which company famously takes credit for the invention of the Pivot Table?
- A – Lotus
- Before the term “Pivot Table” was invented, the project was originally called _________?
- Lotus Improv
How would you have answered these questions?
Leave your comments below.
- The Comprehensive Guide to the Excel Ribbon: Making the Most of Your Data - January 31, 2023
- 51: Oz du Soleil & the Global Excel Summit 2021 - February 8, 2021
- 50: Randy Austin – Excel for Freelancers - January 22, 2021